Biden announces ban on Russian energy imports

Source: The Hill | March 8, 2022 | Amie Parnes,Rachel Frazin and Morgan Chalfant

President Biden announced Tuesday that the U.S. will ban Russian oil, natural gas and coal imports as part of his administration’s response to Russian President Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine.

“The United States is targeting the main artery of Russia’s economy. We’re banning all imports of Russian oil and gas and energy,” Biden said in remarks from the Roosevelt Room on Tuesday morning.

“That means Russian oil will no longer be acceptable at U.S. ports and the American people will deal another blow to Putin’s war machine,” he added.

Biden signed an executive order banning Russian energy imports as well as new U.S. investment in Russia’s energy sector, the White House said in a fact sheet. The order will also prohibit Americans from “financing or enabling” foreign companies investing in Russian energy production, the White House said.

…….

Biden, in his remarks on Tuesday, noted that the effort could increase costs in the U.S.

“This is a step that we’re taking to inflict further pain on Putin, but there will be costs as well here in the United States,” he said, noting that he would take steps to minimize the impact. 

He reiterated previous remarks that such actions were part of the cost of defending freedom. 

“I said I would level with the American people from the beginning, and when I first spoke to this I said defending freedom’s going to … cost us as well,” he said.

“Republicans and Democrats alike understand that. Republicans and Democrats alike have been clear that we must do this,” Biden added. 

Polls have indicated the move has broad support. A Quinnipiac University poll out Monday found that 71 percent of Americans support a ban on Russian oil even if it meant there would be higher gas prices in the U.S.

……..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #52489

Consistent #52490

Consistent #52491

U.K. officials on Tuesday announced plans to phase out imports of Russian oil and oil products by the end of 2022 as a response to Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine.

EVERYDAY #52498

This was a difficult decision but ultimately the right one. Now I wish the President would talk to consumer protection agencies and/or the DOJ to investigate energy and other companies who engage in suspected price gouging.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.