Biden delivers a warning to Putin over ransomware attacks

Source: Politico | July 9, 2021 | Quint Forgey and Nahal Toosi

The two leaders spoke by phone on Friday, in the wake of more attacks by Russian cybercriminals.

President Joe Biden warned Russian President Vladimir Putin on Friday that the United States will “take any necessary action” to defend critical American infrastructure following a massive ransomware attack by suspected Russian cybercriminals.

The proliferation of ransomware attacks is heaping tension on an already spiraling relationship between Washington and Moscow. From Putin’s invasion of Ukraine to a face-off over American citizens detained in Russia, ties between the two countries are largely in tatters.

The ambiguity involved in the latest ransomware attacks has not helped diplomacy. The Biden administration is uncertain if the culprits are controlled by the Kremlin, yet it insists Putin is responsible for stopping the strikes if they are carried out on his soil.

In a call on Friday, Biden spoke with Putin “about the ongoing ransomware attacks by criminals based in Russia that have impacted the United States and other countries around the world,” according to a readout provided by the White House.

The president described the call with Putin following an executive order signing at the White House.

“I made it very clear to [Putin] that the United States expects when a ransomware operation is coming from his soil, even though it’s not — not — sponsored by the state, we expect them to act if we give them enough information to act on who that is,” Biden said.

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #49574

EVERYDAY #49587

And I’ll bet Putin is laughing behind President Biden’s back.

But I suppose a response by this President beat total indifference from the last president.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.