CDC report: dining out increases risk of contracting coronavirus more than other activities

Source: The Hill | September 10, 2020 | Zack Budryk

Dining out is one of the riskiest possible activities during the coronavirus pandemic, according to a report issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Thursday, citing the fact that masks are not used while people are eating and drinking.

CDC officials interviewed about 314 people who experienced symptoms of the virus and got tests, about half of whom were positive. Both the positive and the negative subjects said they had engaged in activities such as attending church and in-person shopping.

However, people who tested positive were about twice as likely than those who tested negative to say they had dined at a restaurant. People who tested positive but could not identify a specific occasion when they were exposed to the virus were also more likely to have recently visited a bar or coffee shop.

“Eating and drinking on-site at locations that offer such options might be important risk factors associated with SARS-CoV-2 infection,” the report states. “Efforts to reduce possible exposures where mask use and social distancing are difficult to maintain, such as when eating and drinking, should be considered to protect customers, employees, and communities.”

……..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #42777

EVERYDAY #42792

The struggling restaurants will appreciate this. In my state, indoor capacity was just raised to 50% from 25% which still isn’t much help. Those with bars have to keep the bars closed and serve alcohol only at the dining tables. Some have outdoor seating and I’ve done that with a friend of mine. However, outdoor seating will not be an option in the coming weeks as the temperature drops.

I think most restaurants where I live are doing their best to keep everyone safe and customers are also doing their part. Maybe it’s not a good idea to eat out all the time, but once in a while shouldn’t be much of a problem. There is delivery, which I have been doing as much as I can to help the cash strapped restaurants.
    Sometimes I think the CDC and others are trying to force us all into an indefinite lockdown. Personally, I had enough of a lockdown for the first couple of months of this pandemic. I refuse to be a recluse. There has to be a happy medium somewhere and reports like this aren’t helping us find it.

ConservativeGranny #42800

Because of Trump people at high risk are going to continue to have to live like hermits if they want to stay alive. I’m not much of a social butterfly but I miss my family like crazy. My anger just increases daily because of the actions and inaction of the President and others who refused to do the right thing. I hope they enjoyed their parties and rallies while the rest of us sacrificed in the hopes that we could get a handle on the spread of this.

My husband said the news tonight reported that 40% of restaurants may be closed within 6 months. What a mess. Our country will take years to recover from this. And that may be overly optimistic:(

EVERYDAY #42811

What I don’t get is how going to a restaurant is riskier than attending a Trump rally, a protest march or any of a number of large gatherings where there is no social distancing, no limits on the number of participants/attendees, or few if any masks. I think this slam against dining out is baloney. My guess is that the CDC, like the FDA, has now become politicized.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.