Clyburn: Republican Party 'has a responsibility' to 'preserve the integrity of this democracy'

Source: The Hill | November 8, 2020 | Justine Coleman

House Majority Whip James Clyburn (D-S.C.) said Sunday that the Republican Party “has a responsibility” to “preserve the integrity of this democracy.”

Clyburn told CNN’s “State of the Union” that he thinks President Trump “should concede” to President-elect Joe Biden but said the GOP should “step up.”

“I think Trump should concede but I also think that the Republican Party has a responsibility here,” he said. “This country is bigger than any one person.”

The majority whip continued by quoting Biden, who said in his first speech after his projected win on Saturday that the U.S. “stands at an inflection point.”

“We are in a very dire set of consequences here, and we better get ahold of ourselves and this country,” Clyburn said during his interview. 

“So it doesn’t matter to me whether or not he concedes,” he said of Trump who has not acknowledged defeat.

“What matters to me is whether or not the Republican Party will step up and help us preserve the integrity of this democracy,” Clyburn said. 

……..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.