Democrat introduces resolution to expel Greene

Source: The Hill | March 19, 2021 | Cristina Marcos

Rep. Jimmy Gomez (D-Calif.) on Friday formally introduced a resolution to expel Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) from Congress over her past indications of support for violence against prominent Democrats.

“I believe some of my Republican colleagues, and one in particular, wish harm upon this legislative body. And I’m not saying this for shock value. It’s the conclusion I drew after a member of Congress advocated violence against our peers, the Speaker and our government,” Gomez said on the House floor.

“I take no joy in introducing this resolution,” Gomez continued. “But any member who incites political violence and threatens our lives must be expelled. And I’ll do everything I can in my power to protect our democracy and keep all my colleagues safe.”

The House has only ever expelled five members in its history. And there’s a high bar to expel a member from the House: a two-thirds majority must vote in favor.

House Democrats, as well as 11 Republicans, voted last month to strip Greene of her seats on the Budget and the Education and Labor committees in response to her past apparent endorsements of political violence as well as her suggestions that school shootings and the 9/11 terrorist attacks were staged.

But some Democrats like Gomez want to go further and remove Greene from Congress altogether. More than 70 Democrats have signed on to the expulsion resolution so far, according to Gomez’s office.

Gomez first announced in January that he was planning an expulsion resolution against Greene, but did not formally introduce it until Friday.

……..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.