Fauci says virus may never be eradicated, contradicting Trump

Source: The Hill | August 6, 2020 | Morgan Gstalter

Anthony Fauci, the nation’s top infectious disease expert, said COVID-19 will likely never be eradicated, a statement that contradicts President Trump’s claims that the coronavirus will “go away.”

“I don’t think we’re going to eradicate this from the planet because it’s such a highly transmissible virus that that seems unlikely,” Fauci said in an interview with Reuters. “But what I think we can do with the combination of a good vaccine and attention to public health measures — by attention I don’t mean shut down, I mean things that are just prudent — then I think we can get behind this.”

Fauci, however, said he believes the nation came move past the peak levels COVID-19 cases.

“We may need to go through a season of it and then by next season, if we have a vaccine, it won’t be a pandemic, it won’t be immobilizing the world, it won’t be destroying the economy,” he said.

Fauci, a key member of the White House coronavirus task force, said he will not make a “declarative statement” about when the virus will subside.

“I don’t know. I hope and feel it’s possible that by the time we get through 2021 and go around for another cycle that we’ll have this under control,” he added.

Trump, however, has repeatedly insisted that the virus will “just disappear” at some point whether or not an effective vaccine is distributed.

On Wednesday, Trump reiterated his claim while advocating for schools to physically reopen in the fall that “this thing is going away.

“It will go away like things go away and my view is that schools should be open,” he said, referring to the coronavirus pandemic.

……..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.