Former GOP senator urges Republicans to back impeachment witnesses

Source: The Hill | January 30, 2020 | Rebecca Klar

A former Republican senator is urging members of his party to call for witnesses as part of President Trump’s impeachment trial.

Former Sen. John Warner (Va.) asked Republicans to honor the nation’s history of “judicial norms” as the impeachment process continues, largely echoing many Democrats that have been calling for witnesses since the start of the impeachment trial. 

“As a lifelong Republican and a retired member of the U.S. Senate, who once served as a juror in a Presidential impeachment trial, I am mindful of the difficult responsibilities those currently serving now shoulder,” Warner said in a statement, shared by a New York Times reporter Thursday on Twitter.

“I believe, as I am sure you do, that not only is the President on trial, but in many ways so is the Senate itself. As such, I am strongly supportive of the efforts of my former Republican senate colleagues who are considering that the Senate accept the introduction of additional evidence that they deem relevant,” he added. 

Warner said that throughout U.S. history, judicial systems have “largely supported the judicial norms of evidence, witnesses and relevant documents.” 

“I respectfully urge the Senate to be guided by the rules of evidence and follow our nation’s judicial norms, precedents and institutions to uphold the constitution and the rule of law by welcoming relevant witnesses and documents as part of this impeachment trial,” he said. 

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.