George W. Bush says country is going through 'an unsettled period'

Source: Politico | November 8, 2019 | Caitlin Oprysko

The former president said he expected the ship to right itself, though he indicated he may not live to see that day.

Former President George W. Bush on Friday lamented the chaotic political climate in the United States, though the 43rd president expressed optimism that the dust would settle eventually.

Bush sat for an interview with his press secretary turned Fox News anchor Dana Perino in Crawford, Texas, where he was participating in a 100 kilometer bike race for veterans. Perino asked the president to ruminate on the legacy of his father, George H.W. Bush, who was president when the Berlin Wall fell 30 years ago this week.

Perino noted that Bush was a proponent of looking past times of polarization, prompting him to get reflective.

“I’m optimistic about the future because as you mentioned democracy is self-healing. This is an unsettled period in our country, but it isn’t the first time we have had unsettled periods,” he told Perino with a laugh.

He said he expected the ship to right itself, though the 73-year-old indicated he may not live to see that day.

“I won’t be around to see my grandkids thrive and prosper, but I am convinced the world they’ll be entering into will be unique and full of all kinds of possibilities,” he continued.

………

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #33266

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.