German lawmaker, ambassador to Germany trade jabs over 'issuing threats'

Source: The Hill | May 26, 2020 | John Bowden

A German lawmaker clashed with the U.S. ambassador to Germany, Richard Grenell, on Tuesday with the member of Germany’s parliament accusing Grenell of  acting “as if he were representing a hostile power.”

In a pair of tweets, Dr. Andreas Nick thanked numerous former U.S. ambassadors to Germany for their service, while conspicuously leaving Grenell out of his praise.

“For a generation, each and every US Ambassador I got to know personally – career dipomat or political appointee alike – used to leave his post as a highly respected figure and trusted friend of Germany. Now someone leaves issuing threats as if he were representing a hostile power,” wrote Nick, a member of Chancellor Angela Merkel’s Christian Democratic Union party.

“A warm thank you to Richard Burt, Robert Kimmitt, Richard Holbrooke +, James Bindenagel, Dan Coats, John Kornblum, Phil Murphy, John Emerson, Kent Logsdon and many others for their lasting contribution to German-American friendship,” he continued.

……..

Grenell fired back, quote-tweeting Nick and accusing the Bundestag member of pushing him to end public U.S. calls for Germany to fully fund contributions to NATO.

“You always wanted me to stop asking you publicly to pay your NATO obligations and calling for an end to Nord Stream 2. But these are US policies. And I work for the American people,” he tweeted.

……..

The tweets come as Grenell is set to step down in the coming days, with Rep. John Ratcliffe (R-Texas) set to replace him as acting Director of National Intelligence (DNI), a position he accepted earlier this year. News of his replacement as ambassador to Germany has yet to be announced.

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #39320

Consistent #39321

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.