GOP Armed Services senator breaks with Trump: I find North Korean missile tests 'very disturbing'

Source: The Hill | May 26, 2019 | Avery Anapol

Sen. Joni Ernst (R-Iowa), a member of the Senate Armed Services committee, broke with President Trump on Sunday over North Korean missile tests.

Speaking on CNN’s “State of the Union,” Ernst said she finds recent missile tests from the regime “very disturbing” and warned that she wouldn’t trust North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

“I find them very disturbing, and certainly wouldn’t trust Kim Jong Un,” Ernst said. “I think we need to keep our eyes on North Korea, I understand the president wants to maintain a relationship … so that we can work with them. However, those strikes are disturbing.”

The comments come in response to a Saturday tweet from Trump in which the president dismissed concerns about missile tests and said he has confidence in Kim.

“North Korea fired off some small weapons, which disturbed some of my people, and others, but not me,” he tweeted. “I have confidence that Chairman Kim will keep his promise to me.”

When asked whether she found Trump’s comments, made while in Japan for a diplomatic visit, disturbing, Ernst on Sunday replied: “Certainly.”

“I think Japan does have reason to be concerned, and I am concerned as well,” the senator said. “We need to see north Korea back off of those activities, and we need to take a very strong stance on that.

………

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #29717

EVERYDAY #29719

Only a moron would think NK’s continued Missile operations is no big deal. Trump fans say his constant fawning over Kim is some sort of negotiating tactic, I have my doubts. I think he really loves this country’s enemies and hates our allies.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.