GOP senator (Pat Toomey) congratulates Biden, says Trump should accept results

Source: The Hill | November 21, 2020 | Alexander Bolton

Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) on Saturday night congratulated Joe Biden as the president-elect while calling on President Trump to “accept the outcome of the election” and allow a smooth transition process.

Toomey issued a lengthy statement urging Trump to accept the election results showing a win for Biden after a federal judge dismissed a lawsuit by the Trump campaign alleging widespread ballot fraud in Pennsylvania.

“With today’s decision by Judge Matthew Brann, a longtime conservative Republican whom I know to be a fair and unbiased jurist, to dismiss the Trump campaign’s lawsuit, President Trump has exhausted all plausible legal options to challenge the result of the presidential race in Pennsylvania,” Toomey said in a statement.

Toomey, who has announced his retirement from politics at the end of 2022, also recognized Biden and Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.) as the president-elect and vice president-elect.

“I congratulate President-elect Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris on their victory. They are both dedicated public servants and I will be praying for them and for our country,” he said.

Toomey is the fifth Senate Republican to congratulate Biden on winning the 2020 presidential election.

GOP Sens. Mitt Romney (Utah), Lisa Murkowski (Alaska), Susan Collins (Maine) and Ben Sasse (Neb.) have already congratulated Biden.

……..

Toomey noted the decision “follows a series of procedural losses for President Trump’s campaign.”

He pointed out that officials in Georgia certified Biden’s win in that state on Friday and Michigan state lawmakers rejected “the apparent attempt by President Trump to thwart the will of Michigan voters and select an illegitimate slate of electoral college electors.”

Toomey said the recent developments “confirm that Joe Biden won the 2020 election and will become the 46th president of the United States.”

……..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.