GOP senator warns Trump: Panel won't take up attorney general nominee this year

Source: The Hill | July 26, 2017 | Jordain Carney

Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) sent a warning shot to the White House on Wednesday night, saying he wouldn’t take up the nomination of any potential successor to Attorney General Jeff Sessions this year. 

“Everybody in D.C. [should be] warned that the agenda for the Judiciary Committee is set for rest of 2017. Judges first subcabinet 2nd / AG no way,” Grassley said in a tweet on Wednesday evening.

Grassley is the chairman of the Judiciary Committee, and served with Sessions on the panel. He could effectively block any attorney general nominee from getting a hearing or a vote if Sessions were to be fired or step down—which he has not said he would do.

……

Trump has also privately discussed using a recess appointment to try to name Sessions’s successor without having to get congressional approval, according to the Washington Post. A White House official told the Post that action isn’t “imminent.” 

Congressional Democrats have pledged they will block such a move by forcing the Senate to hold pro-forma sessions, which would stymie any attempts by Trump to make a recess appointment. 

……

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #17703

EVERYDAY #17716

Trump’s troubles are his own doing. He has no respect for either house of congress, then he wonders why they won’t cooperate with him.

On another forum I said I could not recall any past president having so many people come and go within the first 6 months or so of their presidency. Sure, in 4 or 8 years, people will come and go. But I bet this constant upheaval is unprecedented.

That this administration has had such a revolving door should be disturbing, but Trump supporters are unfazed. Or as their fearless leader has instructed them to do, they blame his troubles on everyone but their hero.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.