Illinois superintendent becomes police officer so she can carry a gun in her school

Source: The Hill | October 1, 2018 | Avery Anapol

…….

Julie Kraemer, superintendent of the 320-student rural Hutsonville, Ill. school district, has been an educator for 20 years. Kraemer told Time magazine that she was motivated to become a law enforcement officer amid rising concerns about school shootings.

“If somebody comes in to try to hurt my kids, we have something other than a stapler to throw at them. We’re no longer a soft target. We have some options,” the 51-year-old educator said. “I’m just going to be a superintendent that happens to also be a police officer. … I have to be able to protect my kids.”

Kraemer’s district did not have the budget to hire a full-time school resource officer, according to Time.

She began her training last year after one student at a neighboring high school was shot by a peer in the cafeteria. A teacher disarmed the student in that shooting, which took place three months before the Parkland, Fla. school shooting.

“I think sometimes we sit back and think it’ll never happen here, it’ll never happen to us, it’s states away,” Kraemer told Time. “But that was really close to home.”

Kraemer previously had a concealed carry license before she began her law enforcement training, but said she thinks police training should be “essential” if educators want to carry weapons on a school campus.

…….

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.