I’m Not Running for President

Source: National Review | June 5, 2016 | David French

I’m not the right person to challenge Trump and Hillary, but the path remains open for others.

Here is a sentence I never thought I’d type: After days of prayer, reflection, and serious study of the possibilities, I am not going to run as an independent candidate for president of the United States.

I gave it serious thought — as a pretty darn obscure lawyer, writer, and veteran — only because we live in historic times. Never before have both parties failed so spectacularly, producing two dishonest, deceitful candidates who should be disqualified from running for town council, much less leader of the free world.

Hillary Clinton lies habitually and changes position on virtually every public issue except for her pro-abortion extremism, and she has a suspicious record of making public decisions that favor donors to the Clinton Foundation. Her signal foreign-policy “achievement” was helping launch a war in Libya that not only cost American lives in Benghazi but also helped transform the nation into ISIS’s latest playpen.

To add to all that, she’s in the middle of an active FBI investigation. If I had handled classified information the way we know she handled classified information, my career would already be over, and the single goal of my life would be persuading the prosecutor to reach a lenient plea bargain.

Donald Trump also lies habitually (sometimes minute by minute), and changes position based on his moods. In one breath he claims to support working men and women, and then with the next breath he threatens to destroy our economy through trade wars or by playing games with the full faith and credit of the United States. He believes an American judge — a man born in Indiana who spent months hiding from drug cartels after they’d put a “hit” on him – can’t rule on a case involving Trump University because the judge’s parents emigrated from Mexico.

His supporters believe it demonstrates “strength” when he mocks the disabled and bullies women. He has attracted an online racist following that viciously attacks his opponents and their families — including my wife and youngest daughter.

Given this reality, it would be tempting to say that when it comes to confronting this national moment, “somebody” stepping up is better than nobody. But somebody is not always better than nobody. I’m on record saying that Mitt Romney could win. I believe others could run and win, and would make excellent presidents.

….

Let me also say that each person involved in the effort to recruit an independent candidate is a patriot. They are standing strong on principle when the GOP leadership — in lockstep — now marches to Trump’s beat. I admired them before this process began, and I admire them more even now.

….

Last week, Reince Priebus said that those involved in the independent effort were “embarrassing themselves.” But what is more embarrassing? Is it doing your best to defend the nation you love from two people who are unworthy of its highest office? Or is it using your God-given gifts and talents to advance the interests of a man who cares only for himself and who rejects the very values you’ve long claimed to uphold?

….

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #6745

ConstitutionalConservative #6749

If it is true what goes around comes around, if the current course is maintained and there is no return to our constitutional foundation, the only thing that is going to save this Republic is a bloody revolution, how such would ultimately turn out is fearsome. In my opinion most of us will not live to see it but I do believe we are seeing the birth pangs.

Fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, on this our nation was built. Be not deceived; GOD is not mocked whatsoever a man (and true of a nation) soweth that shall he also reap. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness. The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction. On and on like this; in terms a child can understand, we were warned.

ConservativeGranny #6792

If it is true what goes around comes around, if the current course is maintained and there is no return to our constitutional foundation, the only thing that is going to save this Republic is a bloody revolution, how such would ultimately turn out is fearsome. In my opinion most of us will not live to see it but I do believe we are seeing the birth pangs.

I agree with this. 100%.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.