IRS: Masks, sanitizer bought to fight COVID-19 can be deducted from taxes

Source: The Hill | March 26, 2021 | Sylvan Lane

The IRS said Friday that taxpayers can deduct the costs of purchasing personal protective equipment (PPE) meant to prevent the spread of COVID-19 from their taxes.

In a Friday announcement, the IRS said that taxpayers who’ve spent at least 7.5 percent of their adjusted gross income on PPE such as masks, hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes “for the primary purpose” of curbing the pandemic can deduct those costs from their taxes.

“Amounts paid for personal protective equipment, such as masks, hand sanitizer and sanitizing wipes, for the primary purpose of preventing the spread of the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19 PPE) are treated as amounts paid for medical care under § 213(d) of the Internal Revenue Code,” the IRS said.

……..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #48149

EVERYDAY #48155

Well, it would have been nice if the IRS had made this announcement before people did their taxes — or perhaps last year when people were buying these things so they would know to save the receipts. Not that it matters to me personally. My tax guy hasn’t done my taxes yet, but I doubt I would have enough to meet the minimum for deduction anyway.

ConservativeGranny #48158

We usually have very high prescription and medical costs each year and the last two years we have not had enough to itemize deductions. Unless your income is very low and you have purchased huge amounts of masks and sanitizer this is a joke. And like you said Everyday, it’s a bit late now.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.