Kinzinger: GOP colleagues have thanked me for speaking out against Trump

Source: The Hill | February 3, 2021 | Jordan Williams

Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.) says some of his GOP colleagues have thanked him for speaking out against former President Trump over the past few weeks.

Kinzinger, a staunch critic of Trump, was one of 10 House Republicans who voted to impeach him for inciting the Jan. 6 riots at the Capitol that led to five deaths and over 100 arrests.

“Well, there’s been backlash, you know. … Within the party base, there’s some, of course you know, as we’d expect. There’s also been a whole lot of outpouring from people that [said] ‘thanks for saying it,’” he said on “The View” on Wednesday. “I’ve heard it, even amongst my colleagues: ‘Thanks for speaking up.’”

“What it comes down to is maybe there’s backlash and maybe there’s not. But putting your career on the line when we’re going out and asking young people to be willing to fight and die to defend this country — being willing to give your career up to defend that same cause, that fidelity to the Constitution, is a small price to pay,” he added.

While Kinzinger said that both pain and opportunity have come from the current political moment, he added that he’s “at total peace with the fact that insurrectionists can never be acceptable in this country.”

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.