McCarthy announces no disciplinary actions against Greene

Source: The Hill | February 3, 2021 | Juliegrace Brufke

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) announced no disciplinary actions against Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) in a statement released as he met with his caucus.

During the meeting, he told members he did not want to remove Greene from her committee assignment, according to a senior GOP source in the room. 

In the statement, McCarthy condemned her incendiary remarks, but offered no disciplinary actions. 

“Past comments from and endorsed by Marjorie Taylor Greene on school shootings, political violence, and anti-Semitic conspiracy theories do not represent the values or beliefs of the House Republican Conference,” the statement read. “I condemn those comments unequivocally. I condemned them in the past. I continue to condemn them today. This House condemned QAnon last Congress and continues to do so today.”

McCarthy met with Greene on Tuesday, and the GOP leader said he gave her the same message.

“I made this clear to Marjorie when we met. I also made clear that as a member of Congress we have a responsibility to hold ourselves to a higher standard than how she presented herself as a private citizen. Her past comments now have much greater meaning. Marjorie recognized this in our conversation. I hold her to her word, as well as her actions going forward.” 

The House is set to vote on removing Greene from her committee assignments on Thursday. 

She is a member of the Education and Labor Committee, a point of scrutiny given her past statements suggesting school shootings were staged to build the case for gun control.

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.