McCarthy: Cawthorn’s ‘lost my trust’ following orgy and cocaine comments

Source: Politico | March 30, 2022 | Olivia Beavers

The GOP leader is not yet revoking the North Carolina Republican’s committee spots, but he signaled he’s lost patience with the freshman lawmaker.

Kevin McCarthy is fed up with Madison Cawthorn.

The GOP leader said Wednesday — after meeting with the North Carolina Republican that morning — that Cawthorn has “lost my trust” due to his repeated actions that were “not becoming” for a congressman. And McCarthy warned the freshman he could face punishment if he doesn’t take certain steps to turn himself around, which could include losing his committee spots.

Cawthorn enraged wide swaths of his own conference when he recently claimed on a podcast that his colleagues have seemingly invited him to an orgy and that he watched at least one fellow lawmaker consume cocaine, claiming that the same member was involved in the anti-addiction efforts. And it’s just the latest episode in a series of controversial remarks Cawthorn has made.

“There’s a lot of different things that can happen. But I just told him he’s lost my trust. He’s going to have to earn it back,” McCarthy said when asked if Cawthorn could face consequences for his actions, including losing his committee positions. “I mean, he’s got a lot of members very upset.”

McCarthy said that, during their private talk, he pointed to “certain things” Cawthorn needed to start doing professionally and in “his own life as well.” And he isn’t discounting more meetings with the freshman lawmaker, saying there “very well could be” more conversations with Cawthorn as GOP leaders assess “what actions are taken” by him.

“You can’t make statements like that as a member of Congress, it affects everybody else and the country as a whole,” McCarthy added.

……..

And McCarthy had some information for Republican lawmakers who have called on Cawthorn to name names, too. The GOP leader said Cawthorn described the cocaine incident differently than he did in the podcast. Instead of a lawmaker, Cawthorn told McCarthy he believes “he thinks he saw maybe a staffer in a parking garage maybe 100 yards away,” and that Cawthorn told him “he doesn’t know what cocaine is.”

“It is just frustrating. There is no evidence behind his statements,” McCarthy said.

……..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #52910

EVERYDAY #52912

Baloney! McCarthy may be mad he wasn’t invited to any of these orgies.

Seriously, I think Cawthorn is telling a tall tale. He has a habit of doing that. He once claimed, with regards to the accident that left him paralyzed, the other guy in the car with him left him to die. Wasn’t true.

Consistent #52915

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.