McConnell warns closing the border would have 'potentially catastrophic economic impact'

Source: The Hill | April 2, 2019 | Michael Burke

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) warned on Tuesday of the “potentially catastrophic economic impact” if President Trump closed the southern border.

“We certainly have a crisis on the border. I think the president’s right about that. Closing down the border would have potentially catastrophic economic impact on our country, and I would hope we would not be doing that sort of thing,” McConnell told reporters.

Trump, citing what he describes as a crisis at the U.S.-Mexico border, has recently renewed his threat to close it off entirely.

The president on Tuesday told reporters in the Oval Office that if Congress doesn’t pass stricter immigration laws, he will either shutter the border or “close large sections of the border.”

“If we don’t make a deal with Congress, the Mexico border’s going to be closed. 100 percent,” Trump said. “Or we’re going to close large sections of the border, maybe not all of it. But it’s the only way we’re getting a response, and I’m totally ready to do it,” Trump said.

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.