Meet Mike Conaway, the new sheriff on the Trump-Russia case

Source: Politico | April 6, 2017 | Kyle Cheney and Martin Matishak

The Texas congressman, who once led the House Ethics Committee, takes over for Devin Nunes.

…..

Now, Conaway is the man leading the House’s investigation into Russian interference in the campaign, including whether Donald Trump’s campaign colluded with Moscow.

Conaway was tasked Thursday with overseeing the probe after the House intelligence committee chairman, Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.), stepped aside amid an Ethics Committee investigation into whether he divulged classified information and accusations by Democrats that he ran interference for the Trump White House. Nunes has denied both charges.

Despite Conaway’s minimizing of the Russia’s cyber attacks, Democrats say they’re cautiously hopeful that he can heal the fractured committee as it handles one of the weightiest investigations in its history.

“I think Conaway is a sharp guy. He’s a tough guy. … I have confidence in him. I’ve worked well with him,” said Rep. Andre Carson (D-Ind.).

Conaway, an accountant, is an unlikely candidate to be a bipartisan healer. He was elected to Congress in 2004 to a heavily Republican district in midwest Texas, and has since racked up one of the most conservative records in the Capitol.

Conaway, 68, has also served stints in the leadership of the National Republican Congressional Committee, the House GOP’s political arm. He used his accounting expertise to uncover an embezzlement scheme at the NRCC. A longtime ally of George W. Bush, Conaway worked as chief financial officer of Bush Exploration, an oil and gas firm, in the 1980s. He was later appointed by then-governor Bush to a state board of accountants.

…..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.