Michigan GOP state Senate leader apologizes for calling Capitol riot a hoax

Source: The Hill | February 10, 2021 | Dominick Mastrangelo

Michigan state Senate Majority Leader Mike Shirkey (R) on Tuesday issued an apology after he was captured on video suggesting the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol was a hoax.

In a statement issued Tuesday, Shirkey apologized for comments made last week in a meeting with the Hillsdale County Republican Party.

“I said some things in a videoed conversation that are not fitting for the role I am privileged to serve. I own that,” Shirkey said in the statement. “I have many flaws. Being passionate coupled with an occasional lapse in restraint of tongue are at least two of them. I regret the words I chose, and I apologize for my insensitive comments.”

……..

Shirkey and other Michigan Republicans faced criticism from some members of the party for not standing in the way of the certification of votes from President Biden’s Electoral College victory in the state.

Days after the election, Shirkey and other GOP leaders from the state met with Trump during a meeting where Trump reportedly pressured them to back his misleading claims of voter fraud and a “stolen” election.

A Hillsdale County Republican Party official told CNN he recorded Shirkey because he did not trust him.

“I didn’t trust him to be honest with me and I wanted to expose his lies and I might need it to keep it for my own record,” the official said.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.