Mr. Rogers trends after Trump adviser compares Biden to icon

Source: The Hill | October 16, 2020 | Celine Castronuovo

Mr. Rogers started trending on Twitter on Thursday after senior Trump campaign adviser Mercedes Schlapp tweeted that watching ABC’s town hall with Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden was similar to watching an episode of the famous children’s television show “Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood.”

“Well @JoeBiden @ABCPolitics townhall feels like I am watching an episode of Mister Rodgers Neighborhood,” Schlapp tweeted, misspelling the late TV icon Fred Rogers’s last name. 

……..

Schlapp was one of several on Twitter who claimed ABC George Stephanopoulos asked Biden easier questions than NBC moderator Savannah Guthrie did of President Trump, who appeared in a town hall that ran at the same time as Biden’s event.

Many Twitter users, however, fired back at Schlapp, saying it was not really an insult to compare Biden to the longtime children’s show host, who promoted messages of kindness and patience to young audiences throughout the show’s run from 1968 to 2001.

Democratic strategist and former Hillary Clinton senior adviser Zac Petkanas tweeted, “Pretty telling that this crew thinks Mr. Rogers is the bad guy.”

……..

April Reign, who created the hashtag #OscarsSoWhite, tweeted that Schlapp’s remark was “the worst self-own I’ve seen this political season, especially since the universally beloved Mr. Rogers was from Pennsylvania, where Biden was tonight.”

……..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #43760

Consistent #43775

EVERYDAY #43777

Congratulations, lady. You just gave Joe Biden a compliment.

I for one can’t wait to be rid of that mean-spirited, lying piece of trash in the White House and replace him with a person more like Mister Rogers.

And it’s “Rogers” not “Rodgers.”

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.