‘My fellow Republicans wanted me to lie,’ Cheney says in comm. speech

Source: Politico | May 28, 2023 | Kelly Garrity

‘My fellow Republicans wanted me to lie,’ Liz Cheney says in commencement speech

She urged Colorado College’s 2023 graduates to trust in the truth.

Former Republican Rep. Liz Cheney on Sunday called on graduates to engage in politics and urged them not to waver from the truth, invoking her experience battling against former President Donald Trump’s efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election.

The former Wyoming congresswoman lambasted her former GOP colleagues during a commencement speech at Colorado College, her alma mater.

“After the 2020 election and the attack of January 6th, my fellow Republicans wanted me to lie. They wanted me to say the 2020 election was stolen, the attack of January 6th wasn’t a big deal, and Donald Trump wasn’t dangerous,” Cheney said. “I had to choose between lying and losing my position in House leadership.”

“No party, no nation, no people can defend and perpetuate a constitutional republic if they accept leaders who have gone to war with the rule of law, with the democratic process, with the peaceful transfer of power, with the Constitution itself,” Cheney added.

……..

“Cleta Mitchell, a political operative and an election denier, told a gathering of Republicans recently that it’s crucially important that they make sure that college students don’t vote,” Cheney said. “Those who are trying to unravel the foundations of our republic, who are threatening the rule of law and the sanctity of elections know they cannot succeed if you vote. So, Class of 2023, get out and vote.”

Cheney also urged the graduates — particularly the women — to consider running for office.

“This country needs more of you in office. You may have noticed that men are pretty much running things these days, and it’s not really going all that well,” she said. “You can change that.”

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #58052

EVERYDAY #58053

Of course, they did. And when Miss Cheney refused to do so, refused to back down from the investigation, she was targeted. She lost her House seat. Trumpies call her a loser and a failure. She is neither. After her defeat, she has landed on her feet. I expect once the Trump cult GOP is decimated, she will be back, bigger and better than ever.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.