New Jersey lawmaker stayed in Capitol until 3 am cleaning rotunda after riot

Source: The Hill | January 8, 2021 | Lexi Lonas

In the aftermath of Wednesday’s deadly mob attack on the Capitol, Rep. Andy Kim (D-N.J.) stayed in the building until early Thursday morning to help clean up the debris left by pro-Trump rioters.

The New Jersey Democrat, who was in the Capitol until 3 a.m. on Thursday, was photographed cleaning up water bottles, flags and cigarette butts in the rotunda.

“There was trash and debris everywhere, broken furniture and broken flags, coats and gloves, cigarette butts and car keys. Trump flags and random bits of food. There was some body armor,” Kim said in an interview with GQ. “This was probably the worst condition that room has ever been in. It broke my heart—I almost started crying.”

Kim, a second-term lawmaker representing a district that voted for President Trump in 2016 and 2020, said he first cleaned for an hour and a half before going back to the House for the debate on Pennsylvania’s electoral votes, which were being challenged by dozens of Republicans.

“It was a day of extraordinarily sad images, and I think the image of someone trying to clean up the mess struck a nerve with a lot of folks,” Kim said.

……..

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.