Pelosi speaks of Kinzinger addition to Jan. 6 Capitol attack investigation

Source: Politico | July 25, 2021 | Jesse Naranjo and Olivia Beavers

The Illinois Republican would be the second GOP critic of Donald Trump to serve on the select committee, joining Rep. Liz Cheney.

Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Sunday confirmed that she’s likely to appoint GOP Rep. Adam Kinzinger — a rare Donald Trump antagonist in his party — to the select panel investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection as part of a boosted Republican presence.

Asked by ABC’s “This Week” whether she planned to appoint “more Republicans to the committee like Congressman Adam Kinzinger,” Pelosi responded: “That’s my plan.”

“I’m not going to announce it right this minute,” she said when pressed on when she would name more Republicans, “but you could say that’s the direction I would be going.”

Pelosi’s comments come days after House Minority Kevin McCarthy withdrew the remaining Republican appointments to the panel following the speaker’s rejection of two of them, Reps. Jim Jordan of Ohio and Jim Banks of Indiana. Both are aggressive defenders of the former president, and they were already gearing up to shift the focus onto Democrats, rather than Trump and their party.

“I wanted to appoint three of the members that Leader McCarthy suggested, but he withdrew their names,” she said, referring to Reps. Rodney Davis (R-Ill.), Kelly Armstrong (R-N.D.) and Troy Nehls (R-Texas). “The two that I would not appoint are people who would jeopardize the integrity of the investigation, and there’s no way I would tolerate their antics as we seek the truth.”

……..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.