Pence won’t endorse Trump

Source: Politico | March 15, 2024 | Sam Stein

“It should come as no surprise that I will not be endorsing Donald Trump this year,” Pence told Fox News.

Mike Pence said on Friday that he would not endorse Donald Trump for president in 2024, breaking with the man who tapped him as vice president only to make him the target of an angry mob for his refusal to help with efforts to overturn the 2020 election.

“It should come as no surprise that I will not be endorsing Donald Trump this year,” Pence told Fox News.

The former vice president ran against Trump for the Republican nomination this cycle but bowed out of the race months before voting began after failing to gain any traction with voters.

Pence becomes the most prominent Republican to date to say he will not back Trump in the 2024 election. Other Trump skeptics, including Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, have announced that they will back the presumptive nominee.

Republican Sen. Todd Young, also from Pence’s home state of Indiana, has said he will not support Trump’s candidacy.

Asked about his decision, Pence said it was driven by more than just anger over the riots at the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, during which Trump-backing protestors called for his hanging.

“I’m incredibly proud of the record of our administration,” said Pence. “But that being said, during my presidential campaign, I made it clear there were profound differences between me and President Trump on a range of issues. And not just our differences on our constitutional duties that I exercised on Jan. 6.”

Among those issues that Pence cited as Trump heresies included the national debt, his unwillingness to take a position on abortion restrictions and his recent reversal on banning Chinese ownership of the social media app TikTok.

……..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.