Pentagon chief of staff resigns

Source: The Hill | January 5, 2019 | John Bowden

The Department of Defense’s chief of staff Rear Adm. Kevin Sweeney has resigned, according to a statement.

Sweeney said in a brief statement that he planned to return to the private sector, giving no reason for his departure. His exit comes just days after Secretary of Defense James Mattis, for whom Sweeney previously served, left the agency after announcing his resignation earlier in the month.

“After two years in the Pentagon, I’ve decided the time is right to return to the private sector. It has been an honor to serve again alongside the men and women of the Department of Defense,” Sweeney said in his announcement.

His resignation also followed that of another top Mattis ally, Pentagon spokeswoman Dana White, who announced her resignation at the end of December.

……..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #27192

EVERYDAY #27194

Another one goes through the revolving door. I get the feeling the military brass isn’t too happy serving under such a dimwitted and potentially dangerous Commander-in-Chief.

Speaking of the CIC title — I’m not so sure presidents should have that title anymore. Back in the day, most presidents were likely to have served ; so they were at least vaguely familiar with military strategy. But in more recent times, we’ve had three presidents — Clinton, Obama and now Trump — who never served. I’d like to think though that Clinton and Obama at least gave some consideration to the advice of their military advisors. But I don’t believe Trump listens to the generals and maybe doesn’t even bother to consult with them. He believes since he is CIC, he can order troops anywhere he feels like it, without regard to the feasibility of whatever he has in mind or the safety of our troops. That kind of power is dangerous.

If the CIC title cannot be abolished, then maybe the role should be revised. Of course, no one wants to have a military that becomes too powerful so that without a CIC in place, it can take over the country. But I think there has to be a way to put some kind of check on both sides

Consistent #27203

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.