Republicans livid over Nadler’s ‘cover-up’ accusation

Source: Politico | January 22, 2020 | Heather Caygle and John Bresnahan

The judiciary Committee chairman’s comments also sparked criticism from Chief Justice John Roberts.

Senate Republicans are fuming after Rep. Jerry Nadler accused them on the Senate floor of engaging in a “cover up” to protect the president, seizing on his remarks Wednesday as a significant misstep that they say undercuts Democrats’ impeachment case.

The GOP criticism came as the House impeachment managers, including Nadler, began their opening arguments in the impeachment trial against President Donald Trump on Wednesday, a presentation that could stretch over three days if Democrats use the entire 24 hours allotted to them.

“If the Democrats are smart, they won’t put Jerry Nadler on the field again,” said Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.). “He was so out of line. It’s offensive accusing us of a cover-up.”

“To my Democratic colleagues, you can say what you want about me, but I’m covering up nothing,” added Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.), a close Trump ally. “I’m exposing your hatred of the president.”

………

Nadler at the time said Republican senators would be taking part in a “cover-up” if they rejected the opportunity to call more witnesses, including former national security adviser John Bolton. Other top Democrats — including Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer — also described the Republican effort not to include witnesses as a “cover-up.”

“I see a lot of senators voting for a cover-up, voting to deny witnesses, an absolutely indefensible vote, obviously a treacherous vote,” Nadler said, as the Senate debated an amendment to subpoena Bolton just after midnight Wednesday.

White House Counsel Pat Cipollone shot back, saying Nadler should be “embarrassed” and demanded he apologize to Trump, with the exchange culminating in Robert’s rebuke.

………

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #35053

Consistent #35054

ConservativeGranny #35055

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck…

Consistent #35089

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.