Romney says he expects 'unimaginable' consequences after impeachment vote

Source: The Hill | February 6, 2020 | Rebecca Klar

Utah Sen. Mitt Romney, the only Republican to vote to convict President Trump on abuse of power during the impeachment trial this week, said he expects he’ll face “unimaginable” consequences for breaking with his party.

“I don’t know what they’ll be, there’s some I know,” Romney said in an interview released by New York Times’s “Daily” podcast Thursday, when asked what consequences he anticipates from the decision. 

“I know they’ll be consequence and I just have to recognize that and do what you think is right,” Romney added. 

Romney spoke with the Times on Wednesday morning, shortly before he announced his decision. 

He said he hadn’t come to the conclusion until about the last day of questions and answers in the Senate trial. 

“Not voting my conscience in order for me to have a better political and personal benefit would subject my own conscience to its censure,” Romney said, on his decision to break from his party.

“So I just, I don’t have a choice there. This for me is fundamental to my oath to God and fundamental to how our country must work, which is people have to be seen as honest in fulfilling the oath that they take,” he said. 

…….

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.