Romney says he is ‘sickened’ by Mueller report

Source: Politico | April 19, 2019 | Marianne Levine and Katie Galioto

Sen. Mitt Romney said Friday that he was “sickened” by President Donald Trump’s actions described in special counsel Robert Mueller’s report.

In a statement, the Utah Republican said that while it was “good news” there was not enough evidence to bring criminal charges related to conspiring with Russia and that there was no conclusion of obstruction of justice, he blasted the White House and Trump campaign officials for their actions. The report, released Thursday, demonstrated repeated efforts by Trump to interfere with Mueller’s investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election.

“I am sickened at the extent and pervasiveness of dishonesty and misdirection by individuals in the highest office of the land, including the President,” Romney said. “I am also appalled that, among other things fellow citizens working in a campaign for president welcomed help from Russia.”

Romney blasted members of the Trump campaign for not informing law enforcement about Russia’s actions and went after former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort for “actively promoting Russian interests in the Ukraine.”

“Reading the report is a sobering revelation of how far we have strayed from the aspirations and principles of the founders,” Romney said.

The Utah Republican broke ranks with much of his party in condemning Trump. A number of Republicans emphasized the first half of Mueller’s findings, which said the special counsel did not find evidence that the Trump campaign conspired with Russia, echoing the president’s “no collusion” mantra.

Like his GOP colleagues, however, Romney called for the government to move on now that the 22-month probe has concluded.

“It is good news that there was insufficient evidence to charge the President of the United States with having conspired with a foreign adversary or with having obstructed justice,” Romney said. “The alternative would have taken us through a wrenching process with the potential for constitutional crisis. The business of government can move on.”

………

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #29027

EVERYDAY #29029

Sorry Mitt, but I’m not ready to “move on” and no one from either party should advocate sweeping this under the rug.

Mitt must be planning to run in 2020. These comments smack of a candidate trashing his opponent. Much as I find Trump’s behavior in all things despicable, I don’t know that Mitt is as pure as the driven snow either.

Consistent #29035

Consistent #29044

Consistent #29046

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.