Trump’s Oz endorsement in Pennsylvania vexes GOP allies

Source: The Hill | April 11, 2022 | Tal Axelrod

Frustration is mounting on the GOP’s right flank over former President Trump’s endorsement of Mehmet Oz in the Pennsylvania Senate race.

Oz, a cardiothoracic surgeon who rose to fame as a talk show host, got a jolt over the weekend when his campaign received a surprise endorsement from Trump, who observers previously said might stay out of the race. The imprimatur instantly changed the tenor of the race, providing Oz with the backing of the GOP’s most popular politician and de facto leader.  

However, past stances Oz has taken on issues such as ObamaCare, abortion and guns have sparked frustration among hard-line populists — who also happen to be some of Trump’s staunchest backers — in an indication that the endorsement will not automatically deliver Oz the nomination. 

“There’s no question about it,” one former Trump administration official said when asked if Oz’s previous stances contributed to the backlash. “I think his past positions and his statements on guns, on abortion, that’s gonna be problematic.” 

Oz won Trump’s endorsement in a Saturday evening statement, with the former president noting Oz’s long-running television show and arguing his presence in Americans’ living rooms would make him electable. He also insisted on Oz’s conservative bona fides, hitting on several issues Republican voters hold dear. 

“Dr. Oz is Pro-Life, very strong on Crime, the Border, Election Fraud, our Great Military, and our Vets, Tax Cuts, and will always fight for and support our under-siege Second Amendment. He will ensure America will become Energy Independent again. Dr. Oz also passionately believes in high-quality education and protecting parent involvement throughout the process,” Trump said. 

“Perhaps most importantly, I believe that Mehmet Oz will be the one most able to win the General Election against a Radical Left Democrat looking to do unthinkable harm to our Country,” he added. 

However, several prominent hard-line conservatives and populists expressed shock over the endorsement, dredging up past policy positions from Oz that he’s since reversed. 

Among the comments populists took most issue with were positive remarks on ObamaCareopposition to overturning Roe v. Wade and support for so-called red flag laws that would allow law enforcement to take firearms from people they deem dangerous. 

“I have enormous respect for President Trump. I was honored to have his endorsement in PA. Twice. But I’m disappointed by this. Oz is the antithesis of everything that made Trump the best president of my lifetime — he’s the farthest thing from America First & he’d be very bad for PA,” tweeted Sean Parnell, who was Trump’s chosen candidate in the Senate race before he dropped out during a contentious custody battle. 

Raheem Kassam, the editor-in-chief of The National Pulse, who boasts a large social media following, called the endorsement “indefensible,” while radio host Tim Young said to “expect [Oz] to vote for basically everything the Biden administration asks for.” 

“Dr. Oz just seems a bridge too far for Trump endorsements. My text messages blew up last night from a lot of people who have been generally defenses of his endorsements and are now in ‘WTF is Susie Wiles doing’ mode,” Erick Erickson, a prominent radio host, tweeted, referencing Trump’s political adviser. 

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.