Sales of Dr. Seuss books skyrocket on Amazon after 'cancellation'

Source: The Hill | March 3, 2021 | Joseph Guzman

Titles that will stop being published are going for more than $1,000.

Dr. Seuss books are currently dominating Amazon’s bestseller list following the announcement that six of the author’s books will stop being published due to racially insensitive imagery. 

Dr. Seuss Enterprises said Tuesday, which would’ve been the late author’s 117th birthday, that the books in question “portray people in ways that are hurtful and wrong,” and said stopping sales of the books is “part of our commitment and our broader plan to ensure Dr. Seuss Enterprises’ catalog represents and supports all communities and families.” 

The books include “McElligot’s Pool,” “On Beyond Zebra!.” “Scrambled Eggs Super!,” “The Cat’s Quizzer,” “And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street” and “If I Ran the Zoo.” 

For example, in “And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street,” a character described as Chinese has two lines for eyes, carries chopsticks and a bowl of rice, while “If I Ran the Zoo,” depicts two African men shirtless, shoeless and wearing grass skirts as they carry an exotic animal. 

The publisher said the decision was made after months of discussion with educators and teachers. 

As of Wednesday, nine out of the 10 ten selling books on Amazon were Dr. Seuss titles, with “The Cat in the Hat,” “Green Eggs and Ham,” and “Oh, the Places You’ll Go!,” holding the top three spots respectively. At least 30 Dr. Seuss titles made up the top 50 books on the list, including “If I Ran the Zoo,” which came in at number 49. 

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.