Sarah Sanders addresses false statements detailed in Mueller report: 'A slip of the tongue'

Source: The Hill | April 18, 2019 | Rachel Frazin

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders on Thursday night addressed part of the Mueller report that said she made false statements to reporters regarding the firing of FBI Director James Comey. 

“I acknowledge that I had a slip of the tongue when I used the word ‘countless’ but it’s not untrue … that a number of both current and former FBI agents agreed with the president,”  Sanders told Fox News host Sean Hannity. 

She also defended President Trump’s decision to fire Comey.

“James Comey was a disgraced leaker who tried to politicize and undermine the very agency he was supposed to run,” she told Hannity. “Firing James Comey remains one of the best decisions that the president made.”

Sanders told investigators working on special counsel Robert Mueller’s probe that she made false statements about the firing, as a “slip of the tongue” and “in the heat of the moment,” according to the report.

“Sanders told this Office that her reference to hearing from ‘countless members of the FBI’ was a ‘slip of the tongue.’ She also recalled that her statement in a separate press interview that rank-and-file FBI agents had lost confidence in Comey was a comment she made ‘in the heat of the moment’ that was not founded on anything,” the report said.

Sanders told reporters at the May 10, 2017, briefing that the president and FBI employees lost confidence in Comey.

………

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.