'Saturday Night Live' presents Trump impeachment trial 'you wish had happened'

Source: source | February 2, 2020 | Justin Wise

NBC’s “Saturday Night Live” kicked off its latest episode by presenting an impeachment trial of President Trump “you wish had happened,” in wake of what it dubbed “two weeks of dry debate and posturing.”

The eight-minute skit satirized the proceedings that have taken place in the Senate the past two weeks, reimagining a trial in which witnesses such as former national security adviser John Bolton, former Vice President Joe Biden’s son, Hunter, and Trump appear for testimony.

It opens with Kenan Thompson, playing reality TV host Judge Greg Mathis, replacing Supreme Court Justice John Roberts, played by Mikey Day, as the trial’s presiding officer. Asked if he wanted Roberts’s gavel, Thompson’s Mathis replies, “Fool, I brought my own.”

Thompson’s Mathis then calls Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.), portrayed by Beck Bennett, and Kate McKinnon as Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) to the stand. The two GOP senators offer ardent defenses of the president, with Bennett’s McConnell quipping, “I just want to remind the American people that all men are innocent after proven guilty.”

Cecily Strong, impersonating Bolton, later arrives at the trial, and is questioned about what else is in the former administration official’s forthcoming memoir.

“No, no, sorry judge. No more free spoilers,” Strong’s Bolton said. “But you can pre-order the book now. It’s called ‘Harry Potter and the Room Where It Happened.'”

Bolton’s testimony prompts Bennett’s McConnell to demand testimony from Hunter Biden.

“Oh you know I’m calling Hunter Biden, too. What, do you think I hate hilarious witnesses? The court calls Hunter Biden,” Thompson’s Mathis says, leading Seth Davidson to roll into the trial on a hoverboard with a vape in his hand.

Davidson, as Hunter Biden, admits upon entering that “my schedule was wide open.” He later acknowledges he’s on “the board of a Brazilian money-laundering company called Nepotismo.” But when asked whether he only got the job because of his father, Davidson’s Hunter Biden takes a jab at Trump’s family.

“That’s right. I’ve been selling Biden steaks from my office at the top of Biden Tower and letting foreign leaders stay at Biden-A-Lago. Oh, no, wait. That’s the president’s sons! Ya burnt,” he says.

Alec Baldwin’s Trump then arrives to the trial. Upon entering, Baldwin says that he’s a “very sick old man” and asks, “How could I withhold aid from Ukraine? I can barely get around the house.”

…….

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.