Seattle mayor: Barr's reported suggestion that prosecutors charge her is 'chilling'

Source: The Hill | September 17, 2020 | John Bowden

Seattle’s mayor said a report indicating that Attorney General William Barr instructed federal prosecutors to consider targeting her for charges over a decision to allow protesters to establish an area free from police presence during weeks of protests in the city is “chilling.”

In a statement issued on Twitter late Wednesday, Mayor Jenny Durkan (D) said that Barr’s reported actions represented an attempt to “subvert the law and use the DOJ [Department of Justice] for political purposes.”

“The DOJ cannot become a political weapon operated at the behest of the President to target those who have spoken out against his actions. That is an act of tyranny, not of democracy,” she continued, adding: “I will continue to fight for what I believe is right, and I will not be distracted by these threats from meeting the challenges facing our great city: a pandemic, an economic crisis, a climate crisis, and a civil rights reckoning.”

Barr also suggested during the same call that federal prosecutors seek to charge protesters whenever possible, including with crimes as severe as sedition, according to The New York Times.

……..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.