Senior State Dept. official resigns in response to Trump's handling of protests

Source: The Hill | June 18, 2020 | Marty Johnson

A top State Department official who has served since the beginning of President Trump’s presidency has quit over Trump’s handling of the nationwide protests over the police killing of George Floyd and police brutality, The Washington Post reported.

Assistant Secretary of State for Legislative Affairs Mary Elizabeth Taylor turned in her resignation Thursday, according to the Post.

“Moments of upheaval can change you, shift the trajectory of your life, and mold your character,” Taylor wrote to Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in a letter obtained by the Post. “The President’s comments and actions surrounding racial injustice and Black Americans cut sharply against my core values and convictions. I must follow the dictates of my conscience and resign as Assistant Secretary of State for Legislative Affairs.”

The 30-year-old was unanimously confirmed to her position in October 2018, becoming the youngest assistant secretary of state for legislative affairs ever as well as being the first Black woman to hold the position.

Before joining the State Department, Taylor was the White House’s deputy director for nominations, where she ushered more than 400 presidential appointments through the Senate, including Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch and Pompeo.

She had been viewed as an integral and loyal member of Trump administration, according to the Post.

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.