‘Shameful’: Biden slams Trump for saying he would ‘hurt God’ if elected

Source: Politico | August 7, 2020 | Quint Forgey

The presumptive Democratic presidential nominee said the president’s comments were “beneath the office he holds.”

Former Vice President Joe Biden defended his faith Thursday in the face of fresh attacks from President Donald Trump, who declared the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee is “against the Bible” and claimed he would “hurt God” if elected to the White House.

“Like so many people, my faith has been the bedrock foundation of my life: it’s provided me comfort in moments of loss and tragedy, it’s kept me grounded and humbled in times of triumph and joy,” Biden said in a statement.

“And in this moment of darkness for our country — of pain, of division, and of sickness for so many Americans — my faith has been a guiding light for me and a constant reminder of the fundamental dignity and humanity that God has bestowed upon all of us.”

A devout Catholic, Biden has recited Scripture on the 2020 campaign trail and is known to carry rosary beads in his pocket. “Faith sees best in the dark,” he says frequently in public remarks, quoting the Danish philosopher and theologian Søren Kierkegaard.

Biden also has spoken and written at length about how his faith helped him grieve the deaths of his wife and 1-year-old daughter after a car accident in 1972, as well as the death of his son Beau in 2015 due to brain cancer.

But in a radio interview Thursday with television personality Geraldo Rivera, Trump said of Biden: “He’s against the Bible. Essentially against religion. But against the Bible.”

The president repeated his claims when addressing supporters in Cleveland hours later. “He’s following the radical left agenda. Take away your guns, destroy your Second Amendment. No religion, no anything. Hurt the Bible, hurt God. He’s against God,” Trump said.

Biden said in his statement late Thursday that Trump’s “shameful” comments were “beneath the office he holds” and “beneath the dignity the American people so rightly expect and deserve from their leaders.”

“They show us a man willing to stoop to any low for political gain, and someone whose actions are completely at odds with the values and teachings that he professes to believe in,” Biden said.

……….

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #41767

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.