Shatner on space flight: ‘I feel comfortable, but I’m also uncomfortable’

Source: The Hill | October 11, 2021 | Sarakshi Rai

William Shatner is feeling mixed emotions just days away from becoming the oldest man to go to space.

“I feel comfortable, but I’m also uncomfortable,” said the 90-year-old, who famously played Captain Kirk in the hit television series “Star Trek,” in an interview with CNN.

Shatner will have to wait another day to be beamed up to space on the 11-minute ride aboard Blue Origin after the flight was pushed back from Tuesday to Wednesday due to weather. He told interviewers he was dismayed at the delay. 

“I’m deeply disappointed because I was building up the enthusiastic response, now we have to wait another day,” Shatner said to ABC News. “[But] it’s really worth it. What’s a day with this extraordinary experience that we’re about to have.”

Shatner also marveled at his upcoming trip, and his chance to experience the “vastness of the universe.”

“[And] we have that moment of inspiration which, I feel, will be there when we’re looking into the vastness of the universe,” he added.

Should the flight proceed as planned on Wednesday, Shatner will unseat 82-year-old Wally Funk as the oldest person ever in space. In July, Funk traveled to the edge of space with Blue Origin owner Jeff Bezos.  

……..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.