Steve King goes down, and other top takeaways from Tuesday's primaries

Source: Politico | June 3, 2020 | Ally Mutnick, James Arkin, Zach Montellaro and Steven Shepard

The biggest primary night since the coronavirus pandemic featured slow vote counts and surprise nominees.

Iowa Republicans drove Steve King out of office on a primary day marked by civil unrest.

King’s defeat was the top headline in Tuesday’s primaries. The nine-term congressman with a history of racist and anti-immigrant remarks was ousted after the GOP establishment offered his opponent both material and symbolic assistance.

In other races, Democrats’ top recruit for the Iowa Senate race advanced through the primary to set up a competitive general election that could determine control of the chamber. And Valerie Plame, the CIA agent who was outed during the Bush administration, failed to parlay her 2000s-era celebrity and profile into a New Mexico congressional seat.

Meanwhile, the widespread protests over police brutality and the continued coronavirus pandemic changed the way people voted — and offered a hint of what could go wrong in November.

………

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #39746

EVERYDAY #39752

A shame about King, but once a person is branded with the “racist” tag, he or she is doomed.

Then again, King has been in congress for a lot of years — since the early 2000s I believe. Maybe it’s time for a change. I never did like congresspeople who stay in office for decades. There should be a turnover every once in a while.

Anyway, the people of Iowa have spoken. That’s the way it should be — without interference from any outsiders.

Personally, I’m happy Valerie Plame was defeated. Have never forgiven her and her old man for what they did to Scooter Libby, a really nice guy (I knew him personally).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.