SURPRISE! Bannon Pushes Leftist Economics As Trump's Secret 'Darth Vader'

Source: Daily Wire | November 18, 2016 | Ben Shapiro

On Friday, Hollywood Reporter’s Michael Wolff released an exclusive story about new White House Chief Strategist Steve Bannon. The story shouldn’t make conservatives particularly comfortable about Bannon’s role in the administration. In it, Wolff portrays Bannon as the intellectual soul behind Trumpism. And Bannon speaks that way. He sees himself as a dark arts guru, a sort of evil genius manipulating the political system: “Darkness is good. Dick Cheney. Darth Vader. Satan. That’s power.” He sees himself as Trump’s brain: “I am Thomas Cromwell in the court of the Tudors.”

But more importantly, he sees himself as the lead figure in ushering out the era of constitutional conservatism and ushering in the era of far-right nationalist populism, as I’ve warned in this space before:

I’m not a white nationalist, I’m a nationalist. I’m an economic nationalist. The globalists gutted the American working class and created a middle class in Asia. The issue is now about Americans looking to not get f***ed over. If we deliver, we’ll get 60 percent of the white vote, and 40 percent of the black and Hispanic vote and we’ll govern for 50 years. That’s what the Democrats missed. They were talking to these people with companies with a $9 billion market cap employing nine people. It’s not reality. They lost sight of what the world is about.

Effectively, this means raising tariffs, subsidizing American businesses, and shutting down as much immigration as possible. Which, of course, would end up destroying jobs. But at least it would be “nationalist.” Economic nationalism has a long and inglorious history, and is nearly inseparable from big government interventionism. Bannon wants to embrace that legacy and throw away classical liberalism, the most powerful force for human freedom and prosperity in history, in the process.

And by the way, he’s happy to make common cause with his friends on the alt-right to do it.

….

Bannon’s certainly right that “conservatives are going to go crazy.” They should. If Hillary proposed anything of this nature, Republicans would lose their minds. This is Democrat economics, minus the tax increases – which, in the end, will be necessary to pay off the debt all of this incurs.

We’ll find out if conservatives are indeed willing to stand up to Bannon’s Trumpism. If not, the fear that constitutional liberalism will go out of business in favor of big-spending, isolationist European-style nationalism was well-founded.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.