Threatening emails sent to Democratic voters in multiple states

Source: The Hill | October 21, 2020 | John Bowden

Law enforcement officials were reportedly notified after voters in multiple states received emails purporting to be from the Proud Boys organization filled with intimidating threats aimed at Democrats.

CNN and The Washington Post reported that voters in Pennsylvania, Arizona, Alaska and Florida all said they received threatening emails warning them to vote for President Trump in the upcoming election, adding that the mysterious sender claimed to have access to voter history and “will come after you” should they fail to vote for the president.

“You will vote for Trump on Election Day or we will come after you,” reads one email obtained by the Post. Dozens were reportedly sent, including more than 180 to students, faculty and staff of the University of Florida, a school spokesperson told CNN.

The head of the U.S. Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency tweeted that the agency was “aware of threatening emails with misleading info about the secrecy of your vote.”

“This is what we mean by not falling for sensational and unverified claims. The last line of defense in election security is you — the American voter. So be prepared, be a smart consumer and sharer of information. Vote with confidence,” added Chris Krebs.

……..

The leader of the Proud Boys, a far-right group known for street violence against anti-fascist protesters, told USA Today and CNN in a statement that his group was not responsible for the emails, which appeared to have been sent from an email address affiliated with the group but may have been the result of spoofing software, one expert told CNN.

“No, it wasn’t us. The people [who sent the emails] used a spoofing email that pretended to be us,” Enrique Tarrio said. “Whoever did this should be in prison for a long time.”

“We have spoken to the FBI and are working with them. I hope whoever did this is arrested for voter intimidation and for maliciously impersonating our group,” he added.

……..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #43876

EVERYDAY #43877

I received a threatening email too — but it did not say it was from the Proud Boys — only that it was going to find out from my mail-in ballot who I voted for and if it wasn’t Trump, I’d be added to an enemies list or something. My family and friends know I voted by mail, but other than them, the county elections bureau and maybe the state, I doubt anyone else does.

A friend of mine, retired from the state police cyber crimes bureau, traced the sender to Uzbekistan. Some reports did say that the alleged Proud Boys emails may have come from Russia or the Middle East. Uzbekistan was once a Soviet country and it is predominantly Muslim with ties to other Middle East countries including Iran.

My friend said to turn over the email to the FBI, but I just deleted it. I refuse to be intimidated.

By the way, I have already been told by Trump supporters that because I am a Never-Trumper, I’m already on an enemies list. LOL Whatever.

Consistent #43887

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.