Toomey says Trump ‘committed impeachable offenses’

Source: Politico | January 9, 2021 | Kelly Hooper

But the Pennsylvania senator said he doesn’t know whether it’s “practical” to move ahead with impeachment proceedings.

Republican Sen. Pat Toomey on Saturday said President Donald Trump has “committed impeachable offenses” by inciting a deadly riot at the U.S. Capitol, as dozens of Democratic lawmakers demanded his removal from office.

“I do think the president committed impeachable offenses,” Toomey, who is set to retire in 2022, said in an interview on Fox News’ “The Journal Editorial Report.”

Toomey (R-Pa.), who has repeatedly spoken out against Trump’s efforts to overturn the presidential election results, said he was “horrified” at Trump’s Wednesday speech at a White House rally, given shortly before a mob of rioters stormed the Capitol.

But Toomey added that he doesn’t know whether it’s “possible or practical” to move ahead with impeachment proceedings, given that Trump only has 11 days left in office before President-elect Joe Biden is sworn in on Jan. 20.

“I’m not sure it’s desirable to attempt to force him out, what, a day or two or three prior to the day on which he’s going to be finished anyway,” Toomey said. “So I’m not clear that’s the best path forward.”

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #46255

Consistent #46256

Consistent #46264

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.