Trump: Amazon 'scam' costing Postal Service 'billions'

Source: The Hill | March 31, 2018 | Max Greenwood

President Trump lashed out at Amazon on Saturday, accusing the retail giant of scamming the U.S. Postal Service over shipping costs and evading taxes.

“While we are on the subject, it is reported that the U.S. Post Office will lose $1.50 on average for each package it delivers for Amazon,” Trump tweeted, following up on a tweet earlier this week that accused Amazon of “putting many thousands of retailers out of business.”

“That amounts to Billions of Dollars,” he tweeted Saturday. “The Failing N.Y. Times reports that ‘the size of the company’s lobbying staff has ballooned,’ and that does not include the Fake Washington Post, which is used as a ‘lobbyist’ and should so REGISTER. If the P.O. ‘increased its parcel rates, Amazon’s shipping costs would rise by $2.6 Billion.’ This Post Office scam must stop. Amazon must pay real costs (and taxes) now!”

…….

Axios reported last week that Trump disputes reports that the partnership is profitable. 

“It’s been explained to him in multiple meetings that his perception is inaccurate and that the post office actually makes a ton of money from Amazon,” a source close to Trump told Axios.

Trump has also accused Amazon of failing to pay state and local sales taxes. In fact, the company does collect such taxes on products sold to consumers in states with sales taxes in place. 

While Trump’s attacks on Amazon have resurfaced in recent days, the president has gone after the retail giant in the past. He called on the Postal Service to raise shipping rates for the company in December. And in 2016, while he was still a presidential candidate, Trump decried what he called Amazon’s “monopolistic tendencies.”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #22714

Consistent #22716

Consistent #22719

EVERYDAY #22721

I’ve asked Trump supporters if this is the kind of president they really want –a vindictive dictator wannabe who has nothing better to do than to spew hatred over Twitter at his supposed enemies — a president who will ignore the law and use the power of government to execute a vendetta against those he doesn’t like. Of course, Trump supporters don’t have an answer.

They should realize that if Trump can go after Amazon, Jeff Bezos and/or the Washington Post, he can also one day go after the companies which employ these supporters. Would they be happy to lose their jobs if Trump ruined their employer?

ConservativeGranny #22722

I’m sorry but this guy needs to be impeached. What he is doing, attacking a business using the bully pulpit of the Presidency is a crime IMO. He is hurting million of Americans in the process who are employed by Amazon and the USPS because he is mad at Amazon’s owner. Not to mention what is happening to our retirement funds everytime he pulls stuff like this.

I pay taxes on everything I order from Amazon. I depend on Amazon as I am handicapped and cannot get out and go shopping. I carefully compare prices and know which things Amazon ‘s pricers are cheaper on and 9 times out of 10 they have the best price.

Trump is a very ignorant, stubborn, mentally unstable man who cares about no one but himself. This man has no interest in “MAGA”. He is all about making Donald Trump great and if he hurts the rest of us in the process or totally destroys this country he could care less.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.