Trump attacks Washington Post after report of early intel warnings over coronavirus

Source: The Hill | March 21, 2020 | J. Edward Moreno

President Trump on Saturday insisted that his administration didn’t act late in responding to the COVID-19 pandemic following a report from The Washington Post that said the White House ignored early warnings from the intelligence community. 

The Post reported that the intelligence community warned of the danger posed by the novel coronavirus throughout January and February as the White House downplayed the threat and was slow to roll out nationwide measures.

“I think the Washington Post covers us very inaccurately,” Trump said when asked about the report. “I saw the story. I think it’s a disgrace, but it’s the Washington Post, and I guess we have to live with it. It’s a very inaccurate story.”

Trump noted that his move to restrict travel to China may have stopped the spread of the disease drastically. He went on to claim that China did not inform the U.S. about the virus. However, the first news reports about the virus popped up in late January, and the administration did not create a task force until late February.

“From many people, I get a lot of credit for closing our country very early to a very heavily infected country — China, unfortunately,” he said. “I wish China would have told us more about what was going on [in] China long prior to us reading about it, even though the news isn’t exactly disseminated.”

“As you know, China kicked The Washington Post out, and they kicked The New York Times out,” he added.

…….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #36529

EVERYDAY #36537

Instead of being a leader, Trump once again wastes time and effort fighting with the media.

People, if we are still looking to Trump to be a leader in this coronavirus outbreak, we are fools. We the people are on our own.

ConservativeGranny #36538

I read an editorial today that said that these daily “news” conferences have taken the place of Trump’s campaign rallies that he can’t hold right now. I think they are right.

EVERYDAY #36542

I believe that’s correct, Granny . Those “briefings” certainly don’t provide much that is useful to the American people. They certainly aren’t reassuring or uplifting, which is what a good leader would do. I won’t watch them now.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.