Trump blasts McCain, bemoans not getting 'thank you' for funeral

Source: The Hill | March 20, 2019 | Brett Samuels

President Trump on Wednesday unleashed fresh criticism of John McCain, attacking the late GOP senator for his connection to a dossier of claims about the president and Russia, his vote against a Republican effort to repeal ObamaCare and his support for the Iraq War.

Trump spent five full minutes jabbing at McCain during an official White House event intended to highlight manufacturing in Ohio. The barbs marked the fourth time in the last five days that Trump has criticized McCain, who succumbed to brain cancer last August.

“I gave him the kind of funeral that he wanted, which as president I had to approve. I don’t care about this, I didn’t get a thank you. That’s OK,” Trump told workers at a tank factory in Lima, Ohio.

“We sent him on the way, but I wasn’t a fan of John McCain.”

The president stoked controversy in the days after McCain’s death last year when he waited to lower flags to half-staff and offer an official statement. He later did not attend McCain’s funeral at the family’s request.

The latest criticisms of McCain briefly turned Wednesday’s official White House event into a de facto campaign rally, where the president regularly excoriates his critics and rehashes his administration’s accomplishments.

During the event Wednesday afternoon, Trump read at least some of the remarks off a teleprompter, suggesting that the attacks on McCain were prepared.

He elaborated on his reasons for his long-running disdain for the Arizona Republican, starting with McCain passing along to federal law enforcement a dossier of allegations about Trump’s ties to Russia.

Trump went on to chastise McCain over his vote in 2017 that helped doom a GOP effort to repeal the Affordable Care Act, and criticized the late senator, a Vietnam War veteran, over his record on the Iraq War and the military.

“McCain didn’t get the job done for our great vets and the VA,” Trump said. “That’s why when I had my dispute with him I had such incredible support from the vets and on the military.

“We’re in a war in the Middle East that McCain pushed so hard,” he added, referring to the Iraq War.

Trump suggested that his extended diatribe against McCain would eliminate the need for future questions about why he continues to attack the late senator.

“Not my kind of guy,” Trump said. “But some people like him and I think that’s great.”

………

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #28496

Consistent #28497

Consistent #28498

Consistent #28499

Consistent #28500

Consistent #28501

Consistent #28502

Consistent #28503

EVERYDAY #28504

Somebody get the hook, Trump is deranged.

By the way, the statement that Trump never liked McCain is a lie. Trump supported McCain’s presidential campaign and even donated to his campaign. So Trump must have liked McCain at one time.

Consistent #28505

Consistent #28506

Consistent #28510

Consistent #28514

Consistent #28515

Consistent #28525

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.