Trump casts resisting impeachment as ‘one of the greatest things I've done for our country’

Source: Politico | January 22, 2020 | Quint Forgey

President Donald Trump on Wednesday described his resistance to Democratic lawmakers’ efforts to remove him from office and his vilification of allegedly rogue federal law enforcement officers as “one of the greatest things” he has accomplished since his election.

The remarks from the president came at the conclusion of his brief trip this week to Davos, Switzerland, where he huddled with international business executives and foreign leaders at the World Economic Forum’s annual summit. Trump’s overseas meetings in the Swiss Alps made for a dramatic split-screen with Capitol Hill, where the Senate commenced its impeachment trial to consider removing him from office.

During a news conference in Davos before returning to Washington, a reporter asked Trump whether he would consider delaying his State of the Union address to Congress next month in light of the Senate proceedings. The president said he would not, but turned uncharacteristically reflective, proceeding to recount a recent conversation he had shared with Washington Post journalist Bob Woodward.

“He said, ‘You’re enjoying this, aren’t you?’ I said, ‘No, I’m not enjoying it.’ He said, ‘No, you act like you’re winning and you won. You’re actually enjoying it.’ I said, ‘I’m not enjoying it. I’m doing it because it’s very important what I’m doing,'” Trump told the assembled media, before criticizing former FBI officials including Peter Strzok, Lisa Page, Andrew McCabe and James Comey.

“I consider what I’ve done here with this whole witch-hunt from day one — with the insurance policy, with the horrible statements made between Strzok and Page and McCabe and Comey, who lied to Congress and did so many other bad things. He lied and he leaked,” Trump said. “When I finish, I think that this is going to go down as one of the greatest things I’ve done for our country. These are bad, corrupt people. These are bad people, and very bad for our country.”

…….

The president added that when Bolton exited the administration in September, the two men “probably” did not part ways “on the best of terms,” and “you don’t like people testifying when they didn’t leave on good terms.”

……..

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #35039

Consistent #35040

Consistent #35051

Consistent #35052

EVERYDAY #35056

Trump as Superman to his adoring fans.

Consistent #35057

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.