Trump claims 75-year-old man shoved by Buffalo police could be part of 'set up'

Source: The Hill | June 9, 2020 | Brett Samuels

President Trump on Tuesday shared an unfounded conspiracy theory that an incident in which an elderly man was pushed to the ground by police in Buffalo, N.Y., during a protest over the police killing of George Floyd could be a “set up.”

The president cited right-wing One America News Network (OANN) in making the incendiary claim, which comes amid a national debate over police brutality.

“Buffalo protester shoved by Police could be an ANTIFA provocateur. 75 year old Martin Gugino was pushed away after appearing to scan police communications in order to black out the equipment,” Trump tweeted, appearing to refer to a report on OANN.

“I watched, he fell harder than was pushed,” the president added. “Was aiming scanner. Could be a set up?”

……..

Two Buffalo police officers were charged with assault after video went viral of them shoving Gugino after he approached them during the protest. The 75-year-old staggered and fell backward, hitting his head on the concrete and lying motionless as blood pooled on the sidewalk and the officers walked away. 

The department originally claimed Gugino “tripped and fell.”

The officers, Aaron Torgalski and Robert McCabe, have pleaded not guilty in the incident. Gugino is still in the hospital.

……….

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #39998

Consistent #39999

Consistent #40000

Consistent #40001

Consistent #40002

Consistent #40003

Consistent #40004

Consistent #40005

Consistent #40006

Consistent #40007

Consistent #40008

Consistent #40009

Consistent #40010

Consistent #40011

Consistent #40019

EVERYDAY #40021

Trump is, as usual, repeating a conspiracy theory that is all over the internet. Of course, to his fans, if Trump advances a conspiracy theory, it must be true.

I watched two versions of the video and in the first one, it was unclear what Mr. Gugino had in his right hand and what he was doing with it. In the second version, I could see for a split second what looked like a smartphone. But both videos were a bit blurry. Now there is a third version of the video going around and in it, a smartphone is plainly visible in Mr. Gugino’s right hand. This leads me to believe that someone was able to somehow clarify what was in the hand or the previous versions of the video were altered.

Consistent #40022

Consistent #40029

Consistent #40030

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.