Trump claims he, not governors, has authority on opening state economies

Source: The Hill | April 13, 2020 | Morgan Chalfant

President Trump on Monday claimed that he, not state governors, has the ultimate authority to loosen restrictions on states as the coronavirus outbreak eases, an assertion disputed by legal experts.

“For the purpose of creating conflict and confusion, some in the Fake News Media are saying that it is the Governors decision to open up the states, not that of the President of the United States & the Federal Government. Let it be fully understood that this is incorrect,” Trump tweeted Monday morning.

“It is the decision of the President, and for many good reasons. With that being said, the Administration and I are working closely with the Governors, and this will continue,” Trump continued. “A decision by me, in conjunction with the Governors and input from others, will be made shortly!”

However, legal experts who spoke to The Hill said that, while Trump can issue federal regulations to prevent the spread of diseases, he does not have the authority to reverse a public health restriction put in place at the state or local level.

“The president can issue reasonable necessary federal-level quarantine orders,” said Elie Honig, a legal analyst and former federal prosecutor in New York. “I don’t see any mechanism or constitutional principle that would apply here that would allow the president to come in and overrule the governors.”

…….

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #38113

Consistent #38114

Consistent #38115

Consistent #38116

Consistent #38118

Consistent #38119

EVERYDAY #38122

Good luck Little Donnie with trying to countermand a governor’s order. In my state we have an AG who will not hesitate to fight him tooth and nail.

Maybe if you hadn’t taken such a hard line with the states when they asked for equipment and supplies to fight this virus, maybe the governors would be willing to work with you on a time frame and a plan to reopen the economy. But you decided to play the dictator and tough guy. Well, good luck getting the country moving without a fight.

Consistent #38135

Consistent #38136

EVERYDAY #38137

Well, my state (PA) and a few others here in the East are working on their own plan to reopen. Other states elsewhere are also banding together to do the same.

In other words: We’ll open on our own terms. And Donnie, you can do something anatomically impossible to yourself.

Consistent #38142

Consistent #38143

Consistent #38144

Consistent #38145

Consistent #38146

Consistent #38149

Consistent #38150

Consistent #38155

Consistent #38156

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.