Trump defends golf outings: It's my 'exercise'

Source: The Hill | July 12, 2020 | Justine Coleman

President Trump defended his golfing in a Sunday morning tweet, calling the activity his “exercise.”

The president argued that he knows “many in business and politics that work out endlessly” and said “nobody complains.”

“My ‘exercise’ is playing, almost never during the week, a quick round of golf,” the president said. “Obama played more and much longer rounds, no problem.”

“When I play, Fake News CNN, and others, park themselves anywhere they can to get a picture, then scream ‘President Trump is playing golf,’” he added. “Actually, I play VERY fast, get a lot of work done on the golf course, and also get a ‘tiny’ bit of exercise. Not bad!”

His tweet comes a day after Golf News Net reported that his Saturday visit to Trump National Golf Club in Northern Virginia was the 275th time he visited a golf club as president and the 273rd time he traveled to one of his golf clubs as president.

……..

Trump criticized former President Obama for playing golf during his time in office, vowing during a December 2015 campaign rally to operate differently. Trump had said he might not see his properties if he was elected, explaining, “Because I’m going to be working for you, I’m not going to have time to go play golf,” CNN noted

Obama played 333 rounds of golf during his two-term presidency, according to Golf News Net. 

CNN, citing veteran CBS News White House correspondent Mark Knoller, noted in late May that Trump had spent all or part of 248 days at a golf course while president. Obama, by comparison, had played 98 rounds of golf through the same point in his presidency.

……..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.