Trump defends tweeting sensitive photo of Iran launch site

Source: The Hill | August 30, 2019 | Brett Samuels

President Trump said Friday he had the “absolute right” to release a detailed photo of the site of a failed satellite launch in Iran after experts suggested the picture contained sensitive information.

The president commented on the photo, which he had tweeted out earlier in the day, to reporters before leaving the White House for Camp David for the Labor Day weekend.

“I just wish Iran well. They had a big problem. And we had a photo and I released it, which I have the absolute right to do. And we’ll see what happens,” Trump said.

He called the launch attempt a “big mishap.”

An Iranian official told Reuters the attempt to launch a satellite into space failed due to “technical issues.”

The president in his earlier tweet denied that the U.S. had played any role.

A short time later, NPR reported that experts believed the image was of higher quality than most readily available depictions of the launch site. The high resolution suggested that it may have been a government photo, and that Trump may have released sensitive or classified information in tweeting it out.

Trump previously faced criticism for sharing classified intelligence with the Russian ambassador during a 2017 Oval Office meeting. He offered a similar defense after that incident, tweeting that he had “the absolute right” to do so.

U.S. presidents have the authority to declassify almost any intelligence material.

………

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Discussion
  • Consistent #31472

Consistent #31473

Consistent #31474

Consistent #31476

Consistent #31477

Consistent #31478

Consistent #31479

Consistent #31481

ConservativeGranny #31482

The fact that he started out his taunt by claiming the US had nothing to do with it tells me that we probably did and Trump couldn’t restrain himself from gloating and making fun of them. You know, sort of like a child would do.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.